Saturday, January 28, 2012

S-P-E-L-L-I-N-G B-E-E 2012

Our family has amazing spelling Genes. It started many years ago when I won the First grade Spelling Bee at Trabuco Elementary. I am sure my picture is still proudly mounted on the wall in the library. Fast forward a few years and Kennedy sailed through her Fifth grade class Spelling Bee, which meant she would be representing her class in the school Spelling Bee. For weeks we spent hours going over the 450 word list preparing her for her big day. Most of the words I could not pronounce. Many of the words we had to google to find a meaning. Needless to say these were not easy words. The day of the Spelling Bee was filled with excitement and nerves for all of us!
The spelling Bee started at 2:00. Word after word she was nailing. After about ten minutes into it the 36 students started to slowly dwindle down. At about 3:00 they were down to the top ten. I was sweating. The words were ridiculously hard. Another thirty minutes went by, and you could literally cut the tension in the room with a pencil! My little fifth grader continued to knock student after student out of the competition. She finished in FIFTH PLACE!!! We were so proud of her! I was in tears of joy as we ran up to congratulate her. As we were hugging, I noticed she was in tears too! Only her tears were due to the fact that she was disappointed. Just then Mikey, her friend who got out on the word before her, came into the hall to tell her what an awesome job she did. Which made her realize just how amazing she was. She wiped off the tears, clenched her award and proudly smiled to capture an incredible memory she will hold onto forever!
So I guess if the thunder thigh genes have to be passed down to me at least I was able to pass on the phenomenal spelling genes!

5 comments:

Adam & Samantha said...

I was always the kid that loved spelling bees and spelling tests. Haha. Way to go Kennedy!

Terra said...

So awesome! Was chickabee or chickabug or chickawhatever one of the final words!?!

Gunn Family said...

Yes! Chickabiddy. ;)

Gunn Family said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Megan B ♥ said...

Wow, great job, kennedy!!!