Thursday, January 21, 2010

Please, Call me Martha.

My super crafty and talented Mom gave us girls all a new sewing machine for Christmas. I was thrilled. My very own Singer. I know I know, your thinking you are Mormon, live in Utah, have four kids and you don't know how to sew? Geez we all learned when we were beehives and practically sewed our own wedding dresses. My only response is good for you, I grew up on the beach and had a way cuter dress. :-)

Immediately after opening my new best friend thoughts of fabric and patterns danced in my head. Do I start with their new matching aprons, or adorable skirts? Do I start simple with fun headbands, or gosh do I start thinking about prom dresses already?

Along with the new toy came sewing lessons. A night together just us girls sewing and talking. You know like the pioneers. My mom suggested starting with a patchwork blanket to get us started. So off to JoAnns we went. Right smack in the middle of the cotton/poly and flannel isle is where I quickly came crashing back to earth! WOW! Where do I even start? After a few deep cleansing breaths I got what I needed and was off to make a master piece.

After carefully cutting and measuring all the fabric and learning a whole new language just so I could communicate with my new friend, I was ready to begin. Little did I know that after four hours of sewing, cutting, huge seams, and lots of re-threading of the bobbin, I was left with a blanket that only I could love. It was perfect, it's curvy seams and uneven squares gave it all it's character. I'm not sure if my kids or Travis were more proud.

Here is a really bad picture of me holding my new little piece of joy. I had to post it as prof that I really did make it!

Thanks Mom for teaching me with patience. Thanks for laughing with us when we clearly had no idea what we were doing. Thanks for staying up way past your bedtime so we could finish. Thanks for teaching me a skill that will only get better with time. Thank you.

10 comments:

bubbs said...

This is a day I thought would NEVER happen. We are all blown away by the old addage, "Never, say never!!!" I'm very proud of you for jumping in while you have your mom to help you learn this wonderful life skill!!! Now just be glad you in the shape you are in so whatever you drape yourself with will still look good on you:)Love, Dad

Blackner Family said...

Are you sure you didn't have mom do everything and just pose for the picture!! Can't wait to see all the cool things we learn!

Anonymous said...

Oh Martha!!!! You are amazing--or is it your Mom who is amazing???? I can't wait to see the finished project. And what lucky little girls you are raising. They will always have outfits like no one else.

bubbs said...

Dear Martha - What fun we had laughing and sewing - the name "bobbin" bugged you so much you just called it "bob" - I think you did great for your first time! I'm excited for the next project - but next time I am leaving before midnight!!

Miki said...

What the heck Martha? Wasn't your first lesson like yesterday? I'm jealous, seriously. I'm thinking that my be on my birthday list and then I'll just take sewing lessons from you. You are so funny. Thanks for the laugh, needed that.

Adam & Samantha said...

whoa, go summer! that is a great skill to have, but I can't even sew on a button. And whenever I get those comments like, "You don't know how to sew? How are you going to be a good mormon mom?" I say to them, "I'll take it to the seamstress while we enjoy a nice day at the beach and shopping." haha, only in a perfect world, huh? maybe your mom can teach me!

Melanie Hoopes said...

I loved this post - made me laugh. I'm impressed, I truly don't have the patience to learn to sew, my mom did my beehive cross-stiches for me :)

Terra said...

Hilarious post. That was such a great night. I have to admit...we did way better than I thought we would do. I think we even surprised mom! But I think I would still take a day at the beach over threading my bobbin. :)

Trish said...

Now that I don't live by you you become a Martha. I am so impressed. WOW!!! Summer let's get together and sew...just kidding. I am glad that you can finally hem your own kids things though. Everyone needs a sewing machine. Keep practicing.

Nancy said...

That is awesome, see it's fun, right? My Mom was a seamstress (not professionally, but really good) and so I never even tried really until she went to Spain on a mission for 3 years and I wanted pillows for my house. Now you've got the bug you've got to keep making cute stuff and it will get easier and easier and your seams will get straighter too!